Monday, May 08, 2006

Late Sunday Night ~ Post Cinco de Mayonaiese notes de pancho

Cinco de Mayonnaise?!?... spekk it right mano!
Hola Mi Carnal Pancho ~ Long days..hell you might as well write an article but the stuff you are talking about and the interconnections could be a small book.

I will check this out tomorrow with fresh eyes. The whole search for a definitive term for all of us has been a bummer for a long time. I think Corky did about the best with I Am Joquin.

I Am Joaquin: By Rodolfo Corky Gonzales
http://native-resistance.blogspot.com/2006/04/i-am-joaquin-by-rodolfo-corky-gonzales.html

Chicano Leader Rodolfo "Corky" Gonzales 1929-2005: "He Was the Fist. He Stood For Defiance, Resistance"
http://third-world-history.blogspot.com/2006/04/chicano-leader-rodolfo-corky-gonzales.html

I relate to the term La Raza Cosmica.. I read a poem somewhere about what would happen if they {meaning us} found out who they really were!?!?!? Latinos, Raza and then the Lost Tribe of Chicanos... that to me is what we are... a stranded abandoned lost tribe still searching for our lost identity. There are reasons why I am first and foremost a humane being! Cultural by-pass!

Raised as a Mex-i-can {not Mess-e-can}, then Mexican American for a short while when I was in the MAYA in my Sac High School days...then Cesar's Grape Boycott and the Brown Berets and Chicanismo and becoming a Chicano of La Raza Cosmica... yet also being Native Indigenous Apache and Yaqui de Sonora Mexico.... Hell.. I'm going to bed... maybe after I wake up in the morning I will figure it all out... though after over 50 Earth-years I am not holding my breath!

I know I am not a true Mexican in terms of cultural upbringing in Sacramento, plus, not being fluent Spanishg-speaking.

I can see being a Mexican-American-Native man who considers himself a Chicano and being called a Latino is agreeable. I opt with the majority of the politically conscious Latinos, but then it can vary with the social situation... I think... Oh hell... just don't call me damn Hispanic!!! TIme to hit my bunk like a good soldado.... Mas manana mano.. ~Peta.

FRANK SIFUENTES ~conzafos@msn.com~; wrote:
---- Original Message -----
FRANK SIFUENTES

To: alfonsobaez Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2006 3:59 PM
Subject: Post Cinco de Mayonaiese notes de pancho

I made efforts to put my name on the From line to avoid the so called Con Safos mystique. And as you believe putting my name out there. AND it did not work! I ended up without the fs. And may have had emails sent that I did not receive.

Wanted to confer with you about an idea I have to do a position paper towards a better understanding of what they saw with respect to the GREAT IMMIGRANT MARCHES & DEMONSTRATIONS.

One of the things that may not have been apparent, was how massive the support they had from 'long standing' U.S.A. citizens; those of us who have been counted in a different ategorization just about every decade Census taking: 1930 we were of Mexican Race, 1940 Caucasian (white) of Mexican decent, 1950 Spanish American, l960 Mexican American, 1970 up in the air, we got to choose, 'miracles of miracles' THANKS to the chicano movement,.(and very undercounted; 1980, THE DECADE OF THE HISPANIC (thanks to Coors Beer 'think tank' using a Latino Public Relations firm from San Antonio); 1990 Latino, thanks to Cuban American and perhaps our brother Puerto Ricans, plus the huge immigration of Central Americans (thank to CIA head Bill Casey and the Great Communicator our very own Ronnie Reagan.) and in 2000 again because even more Latinos other that Mexican 'latinos'. The urge of US CENSUS is to view and think heterogeneous and count homogeneous.

Any insights related to the way we have been forced to add a new vocabulary to our identify factors. I've had problems with each one, since my birth certificate says Mexican Race and I was prepared to settle in on Mexican American, at least for l964.

The position paper would also aim at describing the immigration patterns related to poverty and political divisions leading to the Mexican Civil War.

There had been a great deal of immigration since before 1910, large due to building of the railroads and expanding agriculture in the Southwest and other states, ie Michigan, Colorado, California, Ohio, and Ill. which attracted worker in industry as well as agriculture, so did Califas!

The massive immigration due to those fleeing in economic or political desparation that began the 2nd decade of l900's grew and grew clear up to the late l920's. And was stopped cold by the 'depression in the US' and in fact dramatic shrunk up to 3 to 4 hundred thousand.

OK? Entonces tenemos l940's after l941 when WWII created shortages of workers from Mexico or other areas on a more limited bases because sending nations were at war.

After l950 the campaign to call Mexicanos 'illegal' 'wetbacks' was in play and yet there was and has always been an INS that can turn its back at the right time in service to the American Economy. The grower love laborers at a time of great need and yet willing to let them be rounded up after the seasons.

It is well-known that a Temporary Workers plan had been worked out, that was in play until l964-65. And had to be seen as impediments to organizing farm labor. From here on the history is in the books.

We know that when Cezar Chavez became convinced the best route to take was to uniionize former 'braceros', and welcome new Mexican immigrants who were 'undocumented'

The l970's and 80's and the 90's many of 'them' as the service and small factory sectors also needed workers who were more than likely not to make demands. This development did impact African American U.S. citizens who were making gains via the momentum of the Civil Rights Movement, and worsen by the development of what Dr. Ernesto Galarza called the Hong Kong Industries along the border. Corporations too their companies South, and left Unionized Americans, many of the Blacks dry.

I want to stop here with this email, to deal with more complexity in being up to date. One important statistic is that there have been 850,OOO immigrants since 2000.

Naturally a position paper of this sort would have to put the importance of the chicano movement from l965 on. It does my heart good that outstanding leadership that emerged from l968 on was prominent.

And want to explain why this is important.

Yeah.. gotta check this out tomorrow... after 12:32=7 AM here and need my beauty sleep.... nada mas ahora.. Peta


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Comment with conscious love!