Saturday, June 21, 2008

Checking In: Sabbath, June 21m 2008



CataractByDef

On Thursday, June 19th of 2008, I had my cataract surgery on my left eye ~ an eye operation ~ at Kaiser Permanente in Rancho Cordova.

Links and Information on Eye and cataracts:
http://www.scienceclarified.com/Ex-Ga/Eye.html

Eye
The eye is the organ of sight (vision) in humans and animals. The eye works by transforming light waves into visual images. Eighty percent of all information received by the human brain comes from the eyes. These organs are almost spherical in shape and are housed in the eye (orbital) sockets in the skull.

Sight begins when light waves enter the eye through the cornea (the transparent layer at the front of the eye), pass through the pupil. (the opening in the center of the colored portion of the eye, called the iris), then through a clear lens behind the iris. The lens focuses light onto the retina, which functions like the film in a camera. Nerve cells in retinas, called rods and cones, convert light energy into electrical impulses. These impulses are then carried via the optic nerve to the brain where they are interpreted as images.

The human eyeball is about 0.9 inch (2.3 centimeters) in diameter and is not perfectly round, being slightly flattened in the front and back. The eye consists of three layers: the sclera (pronounced SKLIR-a), the choroid (pronounced KOR-oid), and the retina.

Lens

The lens is a crystal-clear, flexible body that is biconvex (curving outward on both surfaces). The entire surface of the lens is smooth and shiny, contains no blood vessels, and is encased in an elastic membrane. The lens sits behind the iris and focuses light on the retina. In addition to holding the lens in place, the muscles of the ciliary body contract and relax, causing the lens to either fatten or become thin. As the shape of the lens changes, so does its focus.

Retina
The retina is the innermost layer of the eye. The retina is thin, delicate, sensory tissue composed of layers of light-sensitive nerve cells. The retina begins at the ciliary body (not at the front of the eye) and encircles the entire interior portion of the eye. Rods and cones, nerve cells of the retina, convert light first to chemical energy and then electrical energy. Rods function chiefly in dim light, allowing limited night vision: it is with rods that we see the stars. Rods cannot detect color, but they are the first cells to detect movement. Cones function best in bright light and are sensitive to color. In each eye there are about 126 million rods and 6 million cones.

~See Websource~

A cutaway anatomy of the human eye. (Reproduced by permission of The Gale Group.)

http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/cataract/cataract_facts.asp

It was a relatively short surgery and professionally done. I was pleased when I also crank two little cans of Cranberry Juice after I had not eaten or drink just about all morning.

Left-Eye

My gal, Sister Marie, accompanied me and was my handholder. It was actually a short easy surgery for me as a patient. I went in around two p.m. and the actual surgery was around three, then we were out of there.

Afterwards we came back here to the Chacon Casa. I have some eye drops I need to take, but other than that the operation came out beautiful and I have a great eye doctor named Dr. Morgan.

Day_of_Surgery

One big lesson among others out of all this was the importance of taking care of business and my occasional problem of procrastination, putting things off because of various rationalizations and how it can lead to a deepening of a given problem. Fortunately for me the operation came out well. I was suppose to of had it done last year around Christmas time, but I let the Holidays distract me from getting it done then.

On Friday I had to go for a follow up. Dr. Morgan made sure that my left eye pressure we down to a safe level. The median level is 31 and by the time I left it was down to 27. I need to do some more research. Life is leading me more into studying the human body, especially brain science.

Today is Saturday. I went over Marie's place today and had a relaxing time. She fed me a good chicken dinner soup, with wild rice, tortillias and orange juice. Later we walked over to the store, got some smokes, then, I renewed by Blockbusters Card which I had not done for a long time. I rented Redemption with Jamie Foxx about Tookie Williams; and ESL: English as a Second Language, which was a good Latina movie with Kuno Becker, Danielle Camastra and Maria Conchita Alonso.

Here is a picture of me on the lawn going back home to Marie's condo:

Sittin_on_lawn

Plus, I was pleased to meet her son Teddy. He is a good young man and I know that Marie (aka: Fluflu, Flureffa) is very proud of him. He wants to get a good security job, takes care of his health, seems to be pretty stable and is close to him Mother.

Teddy-Flureffa

Marie-Collage-with -Son

So I have used these last few days pretty constructively: have been catching up on some of my reading, have made some important phone calls and have done some clean up here in my little room.

I took Thursday, Friday and Saturday sick leave from my job at the Salvation Army. Sunday is my free day and the CASA Meeting. Fortunately, Brother Toro will do the CASA Meeting. Brother Mark C. and some of us are going to be at Delores Park in the Mission District in San Francisco tomorrow to see Salvador Santana and his musical band play at a park concern. He is the blood son of legendary guitarist and performed Carlos Santana. So we should have a great day tomorrow!


<>+<>+<>+<>+<>+<>+<>+<>+<>+<>+<>+<>
  • +Peta-de-Aztlan+ An Open Journal=
    http://peta-de-aztlan.blogspot.com/

  • Humane-Rights-Agenda Blog
    http://humane-rights-agenda.blogspot.com/
    <>+<>+<>+<>+<>+<>+<>+<>+<>+<>+<>+<>
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Please Comment with conscious love!